Date:      Wed, 3 Nov 1999 12:54:29 -0600
From:      "Jay West" <jlwest@tseinc.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   AMD K62/450 with 3dNOW! kernel build cc1 catches sig4

Had something strange... primary name server with FreeBSD 3.3R, Pentium 120,
32mb ram, NE2000 clone ISA card. Hard drive started kicking up unrecoverable
errors. Replaced the drive, but also replaced the motherboard, cpu, memory,
and network card.

The system is now AMD K6-2/450, 128mb RAM (PC100), FreeBSD 3.3R, and a
Kingston PCI 10/100 card (mx0 driver). The OS installed fine. Building a
custom kernel generated a Signal 4 from cc1 everytime. One at a time I
replaced the RAM, CPU, and motherboard. I've double checked all the
mainboard jumpers. I've reinstalled the OS from scratch several times.
Nothing made a difference. Finally I clocked the CPU down to 300mhz (the cpu
is a real 450, I wasn't overclocking). Now the thing seems to run fine.

This K6-2 includes this newfangled 3dNow! support. Stepping shows 12.
Chipset is ALI with Award BIOS.

Is there a known problem with this? Has anyone else run on this same
machine? I believe SIG4 is invalid instruction. The Kernel build always
catches a single sig4 (no 11's, etc.).

Please CC me on all replies as I'm not on the list currently.

THANKS in advance!

Jay West