Date:      Thu, 15 Oct 1998 18:39:34 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        green@zone.syracuse.NET, grog@lemis.com, julian@whistle.com, mike@smith.net.au, bag@sinbin.demos.su, rock@cs.uni-sb.de, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: -current NFS problem

>>    Kirk was contracted to fix the problems that he could fix in a short amount
>> of time. He did that and confirmed my own analysis of the remaining problems,
>> which basically all stem from lack of FS node locking in the NFS code. Adding
>> such locking opens a very large can of worms and everyone who has tried to
>> do this has failed.
>
>Not everyone.  Network Appliance, Sun Microsystems, USL, and SCO
>have all got working NFS.  I think BSDI has working NFS as well,
>including locking based one some of the stub code produced for
>FreeBSD by Andrew (and by me), and I'm pretty sure the NFS code,
>sans locking, worked before it left the University of Guelph.
>
>The problems with NFS in FreeBSD are architectural problems with
>FreeBSD.

   Actually that's not true. I can't speak for all of the NFS implementations
above, but at least in BSD/OS, it works only because they have warts all over
the place to sidestep the problems with not having FS node locking. The
argument about FreeBSD vnode stacking/locking is simply meaningless if the
filesystem doesn't implement any node locking, so let's not confuse the issue
by bringing that up.

-DG

David Greenman