Date:      Wed, 4 Feb 1998 22:16:28 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Uncle Flatline <flatline@pchb1f.gallaudet.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 7 questions/problems from a former Linux, new FreeBSD user

On Wed, 4 Feb 1998, Uncle Flatline wrote:

> > > 3) When connecting via a multiplexer (DECserver/Vista) over a phone line
> > >    the username is accepted, but the password seems to ignore the carriage
> > >    return.  The system waits forever for the password to be entered.  (It
> > >    seems that typing <LF> (^J) directly gets around this problem.  But that's
> > >    ugly!)
> >
> > This is a known bug and we've been trying to squash it for ages.  Can you
> > set up your Vista to not expect DOS-style carriage returns?
>
> No access to the Vista, and an uncooperative Computer Services...

You might try giving the command

toggle crlf

while connected to the Vista.   Use the telnet escape sequence to get the
telnet> prompt, then issue the command; you'll be returned to online mode
automatically.

> > Sounds like tcp wrappers are on on the Linux box and your FreeBSD machine
> > is blocked out.  Also try disabling tcp_extensions in /etc/rc.conf.
>
> I dunno anything about tcp wrappers, but I just tried "rlogin" and that
> works...  So, while trying to figure out what I should change, I do have a
> way to get into my other machine from here.

Well, the telnetd on your Linux box seems to be having trouble
communicating with the one on your FreeBSD machine, either being blocked
by a firewall or filter, or some odd interaction (which I've never heard
of).  I find the secure shell (ssh) to be much more robust, plus you get
encrypted logins.

> > You can't have both.  If you run pcvt, you loose some graphics
> > functionality on the console.  If you don't plan on doing anything
> > spiffy-keen on the console then don't worry about it.  You can teach Linux
> > about cons25, though, check the mail archives.
>
> So cons25's a bit better, then?  Yes?  (I imagine teaching Linux would
> consist of copying the termcap entry from one to the other.  But just in case
> it's not that simple, I'll hunt thru the archives as you suggest.)

It's the default and it works.

For the termcap, you have to convert it to terminfo format, then point
some environment variable at the directory in order to pick up the
additional info.  I haven't done it in ages.

> > > 6) Recompilation of kernel lost the JAZ drive (and never got me the audio
> > >   (SB) support.) How important is the order of the lines in the kernel
> > >   config file? I tried to arrange mine in what I thought was a logical
> > >   order:
> >
> > Order is somewhat significant.  Particularly the network devices.  What
> > type of Jaz is it?  SCSI?
>
> SCSI.  Didn't know there was another kind of JAZ.  (ZIP I knew came in three
> flavors.)

Just checking.  Recompiling the kernel shouldn't make the jaz go away
unless you removed the jaz or removed the scsi controller during the
compile.  Check `dmesg' and see if the jaz was found, and that your SCSI
controller was found.  Rebuilding resets all the configuration
information.

> > If it's a new SB16 you need PnP support.  Install 2.26 when it's releasd
> > and you'll be happy.
>
> I read about a patch.  Where do I look for it?

It was on the 2.2.5 CD, or check the mail archives, or contact
multimedia@freebsd.org.

> > chsh was targeted at changing the user-modifiable parameters in the
> > password file.
>
> That seems fine, but shouldn't it know that one of those parameters is not
> plain-text (even if it only shows that parameter to root)?  If it doesn't,
> can't it at least avoid that parameter alltogether?  I mean, is there a GOOD
> reason for root to be able to edit the password parameter from chfn as it
> stands now?

Yes:  so you can disable the account by replacing the encrypted key with a
*, or not require a password by blanking the field.

> > BTW chsh as root lets you modify everything (a la chpass or vipw).
> >
> > You figured out to NOT modify passwd firectly and use vipw, right?
> > Linux users usually miss that the first few times :)
>
> I've never needed to modify passwd directly, though in a pinch I've gone in
> and changed a uid or gid.  Do I have to suffer with a vi-like editor?

Nope:

setenv EDITOR editor-of-your-choice
vipw (runs desired editor)

THis has the effect of changing your default editor for everything
(less, send-pr, a massive number of utils).

> Thanks again.

No problem.  Let us know if you have any more questions.