Date:      Tue, 29 Jul 1997 10:04:55 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
Cc:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Multiple FreeBSD Systems on a Single Disk

Rodney W. Grimes:

 |> >Even simpler: you can install OS-BS bootloader (from /tools), which is
 |> >much more configurable than boot-easy.
 |>
 |> The lack of support has nothing to do with the master boot loader.
 |> The FreeBSD boot loader only supports booting from the first FreeBSD
 |> slice (on any disk that can be accessed by the BIOS).
 |
 |And should be fixed (I've mentioned this before) to boot from the
 |first ACTIVE (flag 0x80) FreeBSD slice.  Should be a trival amount
 |of code, and would do what everyone else does, even Microsoft got
 |that part right.

That's one option.  Another one that'd be better is for FreeBSD to just
boot the slice whose Boot Record is loaded.  I.e. if OS/BS transfers
control to Disk 1 Slice 2, Disk 1 Slice 2's Boot Record is loaded, which
should boot FreeBSD off Slice 2.  Ditto for Slice 1 if I happen to have
FreeBSD in that slice as well.

If I boot Slice 2, FreeBSD shouldn't try to read or touch Slice 1 during
the boot loading sequence.  IMO, it shouldn't go divining whether there's a
valid FreeBSD on Slice 1 (that may or may not be trashed) which it can pick
up a boot loader from.  The MBR transferring control to Boot Record Slice 2
should mean to boot off Slice 2.

Randall