Date:      Wed, 14 Oct 1998 10:20:02 +0200
From:      Johann Visagie <wjv@cityip.co.za>
To:        Bill Grunfelder <wjgrun@cyberwar.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hardware RAID Controllers supported.

On Tue, 13 Oct 1998 at 16:11 SAT, Bill Grunfelder wrote:

> I have searched the FAQ, Handbook, mailing lists, etc, but have not found a
> good answer.  If I missed the answer, I apologize, please point me to it.
>
> What hardware raid controllers are supported under FreeBSD, and under what
> versions?  (I am mainly interested in the upcoming 2.2.8-RELEASE or
> 3.0-RELEASE, or current -STABLE, or -CURRENT branches).

This is becoming a FAQ.  :-)

If you're looking for a host-based RAID controller, then to the best of my
knowledge only those manufactured by DPT are supported (http://www.dpt.com/).
The drivers have been integrated since 2.2.6-R (or was it only 2.2.7-R?).

If you're going to go the SCSI-to-SCSI RAID route, you have more options.

> Also, if anyone has any input on success/failures with different card
> configurations, I would appreciate your input as well.

Having great success with DPT cards, though there was an initial learning
curve.

Give me a shout before you make any decisions;  I have some docs I can send
you.

-- V

Johann Visagie | wjv@CityIP.co.za | Tel: +27 21 419-7878 | ICQ: 20645559