Date:      Fri, 13 Jun 2014 12:34:03 -0700
From:      Darren Pilgrim <list_freebsd@bluerosetech.com>
To:        freebsd@fongaboo.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Stupid Unbound questions

On 6/12/2014 3:49 PM, freebsd@fongaboo.com wrote:

> Messing around with FreeBSD10 on an AMD64 machine. Trying to play with
> Unbound. Installed it from ports.
>
> 1) When I run unbound-control or unbound-checkconf, it seems to be looking
> for /var/unbound/ which doesn't seem to exist.

That's the local_unbound workdir.  It's created automatically when the
local_unbound service is started for the first time.  You can run
through the initial set up by using the "setup" command for the service.

> 2) How do I create an authoritative record? Do they still live in
> individual text files like BIND?

Unbound is a resolver only, not an authoritative nameserver.  Install
BIND, NSD, etc. from ports if you want a nameserver.  Unbound does
support local data, though, using the local-zone, local-data, and
local-data-ptr keywords in your unbound.conf.