Date:      Mon, 16 Dec 1996 09:35:17 +1100 (EST)
From:      Joel Sutton <suttonj@interconnect.com.au>
To:        dcs@linf.unb.br
Cc:        questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Floppy Disks

On Wed, 11 Dec 1996, Daniel C. Sobral wrote:

> How can I configure FreeBSD as to let the users mount the floppy
> disk drive, and what are the security concerns in doing it? Please
> reply to dcs@linf.unb.br.

There could a two ways depending on what type of floppies you want to
access???

If you want to get at ms-dos floppies then I recommend that you install
the "mtools" port from emulation directory of the ports tree. I've found
that this handles dos file systems much better (mounting msdos files
systems can cause disk crashes I understand) and using commands very
similar to dos commands. Only problem is that you cannot access the drive
without using the mtools commands.

The other way would be to mount them directly, although I don't think it's
a good idea, perhaps using "sudo" to trigger the mount command.

Mtools would probably be the more secure way and safer than mount_msdos.
But if someone's floppy was in the drive someone else could access it
unless you use a Unix file system. But security isn't my strong point I
have to point out.

I hope this helps,

Joel...