Date:      Tue, 5 Sep 2006 08:35:29 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        backyard <backyard1454-bsd@yahoo.com>
Cc:        Bill-S <bill@wiliweld.com>, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, "Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC" <chad@shire.net>
Subject:   Re: solaris

On 2006-09-04 15:52, backyard <backyard1454-bsd@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I would recommend the second drive option.

Me too.  Not for the same reasons though.

> I have attempted installing Solaris 10 on multiple computers and all
> if ever seems to do is corrupt the drive on me. Once I got it to boot
> up and go into their version of X windows. After installing the Bonus
> pack with KDE and such never turned on again. Very frustrating.
>
> good luck, I've given up until I have a Sun Box to play with.

I have installed Solaris 10 on *dozens* of systems at work.  Very few of
them were real Sun hardware and there has been exactly *one* case where
something went wrong.  It turns out this case was *my* fault.

The only case when Solaris can be a pain to install is when you try it
out on a system with hardware that is not supported by the drivers
shipped with Solaris.  Even in those cases, some times just adding one
of the supported NICs, or a VGA, or booting from ATA disks and using
SATA disks only for extra storage, can really work wonders...

Solaris 10 is a wonderful system, it works flawlessly for various tasks
that I use it at work (I prefer FreeBSD for my home systems), and the
people who answer questions on comp.unix.solaris are knowledgeable,
(usually) kind, and cool.

So, please, don't be so hasty in accusing "Solaris" for problems you
have had until now ;-)