Date:      Thu, 05 Oct 2000 13:15:54 -0800
From:      Brian Raynes <brian_raynes@dnr.state.ak.us>
To:        doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Pedantic PPP primer and ppp(8) man page missing important info?

I spent some frustrating hours at home a few nights ago trying to get
ifconfig -a to show a tun interface (new install of 4.0 release).
After coming to work, where I have internet access that works, I
discovered from the mailing list archives that ppp has to be run for
the tun interface to be created.

Also the GENERIC kernel config has no numbers after the pseudo-device
tun, which I interpreted to mean that a tun device was not being
created.  Even after changing this, and recompiling several kernels, I
could not get past the stage of confirming the existence of a tun
interface.

My point in sending this to doc is that nowhere that I can find in the
Pedantic PPP primer or the ppp or tun man pages is this detail about
running ppp first even mentioned.  There were tun devices listed under
/dev.  When both the primer and the man page mention confirming the
creation of the tun device/interface by running ifconfig, it would
seem to be important (IMO) to have this exception for 4.x branch to be
in the documentation and man pages.

If there is some source of information on the specifics of this change
in behavior or some way I could help make this change to the docs
happen, I would be really happy to contribute.  Thank you for time.

Currently I am not subscribed to the documentation mailing list, but I
can be reached at either of these addresses:

brian_raynes@dnr.state.ak.us or lbpuppy@alaska.net <--(prefer this
one)

Brian Raynes