Date:      Sat, 4 Oct 1997 22:27:55 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@shell.futuresouth.com>
To:        Rising to the Top <bkedmind@wwwbc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: freeBSD server

On Sat, 4 Oct 1997, Rising to the Top wrote:

>         I have been put in charge of a existing freeBSD server,  prior
> to me getting here there where numerous problems,  I am not 100% freeBSD
> knowledgeable, however I am learning hands on.  problem, I am getting an
> error message "config error mail loops back to myself" and I need a list
> of UNIX commands to enter and monitor things as they happen.  any help
> with this situation will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Check through the /etc/aliases file to make sure there's no loops being
created.  Second, make sure that the mail is being sent to the right pace
as far as the DNS is concerned.  You could also try telnet'ing to port 25
of your machine, and type this:
helo (your hostname)
expn root

this'll tell you where the root mail is going; that's a quick way to check
on how things are routing.

Can't tell you much more without a little more info; where is this error
popping up, and can you think of any common factor amoung when it pops up?
Only when you send mail, or what?

|  FreeBSD; the way computers were meant to be    |
*    FreeBSD: turning PCs into workstations       *
| Windows: turning workstations into typewriters  |
* fullermd@futuresouth.com   :-}  MAtthew Fuller  *
|   http://keystone.westminster.edu/~fullermd     |