Date:      Fri, 25 Jan 2019 18:13:13 +0100
From:      Michael Gmelin <grembo@freebsd.org>
To:        Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Importing mksh in base

> On 25. Jan 2019, at 17:57, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org> wrote:
>=20
> Hi everyone,
>=20
> I would like to import mksh in base, https://www.mirbsd.org/mksh.htm
> And make it the default root shell (not necessary in one step)
>=20
> Why:
> 1/ it is tiny 400k (in the packaged version) all other shells fitting the
> expectation are bigger
> 2/ it's default frontend in interactive mode is very close to what most pe=
ople
> are used to with bash and shells as default root shell on other BSD and mo=
st
> linuxes
> 3/ from my narrow window csh as a default root shell is one of the major
> complaint (usually the first thing a user get faced to) from new comers an=
> also for some long timers who are reinstalling a machine and have not yet
> installed/configured a bourne compatible shell
>=20
> What this proposal is _NOT_ about:
> 1/ the removal of tcsh from base
> 2/ any kid of denial of the quality and interest or features of csh
>=20
> What do you think?

Without knowing mksh in detail, based on your description I=E2=80=99m in fav=
or of replacing csh with something closer to bash as the default root shell.=
 In over 20 years of FreeBSD I didn=E2=80=99t manage to warm up with csh and=
 none of the people I introduced to FreeBSD in that time did either.

Michael=