Date:      Thu, 7 Jun 2001 23:30:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/20601: DESTDIR and /etc/shells

The following reply was made to PR ports/20601; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To: Laurent Wacrenier <lwa@teaser.fr>
Cc: lwa@victor.teaser.fr, markp@FreeBSD.org,
	freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 09:19:24 +0300

 On Thu, Jun 07, 2001 at 07:32:18PM +0200, Laurent Wacrenier wrote:
 > Peter Pentchev wrote:
 >
 > > This is a valid complaint.  However, the problem lies much deeper -
 > > it's not just /etc/shells.
 >
 > I guess so, but I needed only this for the shells when I posted the
 > problem.
 >
 > In most cases, the fix is simply to preprend ${DESTDIR} at the destination
 > of the "install", "rm", ... statements of {pre-|post-}install targets.
 > The main difficulty is to seek them all in the ports.

 Nope, not just that - ${DESTDIR} needs to also be removed from all
 the argument passing where it is not needed, and this will be a hard one.
 Some programs are just not built with chroot() and friends in mind,
 and use the same path for both installation paths and hardwired configuration
 paths :(

 > > A very simplistic fix for the case of shells is attached.  It's made
 > > for the shells/bash2 port, but it could be applied (with a little tweaking)
 >
 > I don't fully agree with your patch :
 >
 >  - ${PREFIX} does not contain ${DESTDIR}, If I install bash with DESTDIR=/mnt,
 >    ${PREFIX} still has its default value of /usr/local, so, you have not
 >    to trim /mnt from ${PREFIX} in ${DESTDIR}/etc/shells contents.
 >
 >  - (minor) ${DESTDIR}/etc and ${DESTDIR}/etc/shells are expected to already
 >    exists if you made previously what it's explained in jail(8) manual page.
 >    You are expected to install ports in a functional hierarchy.

 OK, I already answered the first one; and about this one, well, it never
 hurts to be safe - the 'install' target in bsd.port.mk runs an mtree to
 make sure that ${PREFIX} has all the needed directories, so.. :)

 G'luck,
 Peter

 --
 This sentence would be seven words long if it were six words shorter.