Date:      Wed, 12 Apr 2006 10:18:08 +0100
From:      Alex Zbyslaw <xfb52@dial.pipex.com>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: upcoming release 6.1: old version of some core components

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

>Alex, you would lose that bet, zlib 1.2.2 has a hole in it, it
>should have been replaced with 1.2.3  See the zlib website
>for more info.
>
>Nospam, good catch, if none of the hip-shooters here file a PR I'll
>get around to it the next time I get a running build off the
>cvs.

Sorry, I remain unconvinced.  Follow the bug links on the zlib home page
and both contain "References" like this:

> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/CERT/advisories/FreeBSD-SA-05:16.zlib.asc
> https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2005-569.html
> http://secunia.com/advisories/15949/

So unless the fixes somehow were un-made for 6.1, zlib is not
vulnerable, regardless of whether the version number is 1.2.2 or 1.2.3.

If you or the OP still believe that there is a bug then talking to the
security officer is surely the correct course of action.

(I follow bugtraq and saw FreeBSD patch notices arrive soon after the
zlib bugs were reported.  It's true, I could have missed later zlib
bugs, but that's hard to do since you always get a slew of Linux update
notices for any common package like this one.  So only shooting from the
hip in an Billy-the-Kid-hit-anything-at-100-paces kind of way :-))

--Alex