Date:      Mon, 01 Mar 1999 14:04:10 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Don Wilde <dwilde1@thuntek.net>
Cc:        Konrad Heuer <kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The Linux PR firestorm disaster (w.r.t. FreeBSD)

Don Wilde wrote:

> Konrad Heuer wrote:
> >
> > We don't want that for FreeBSD. But in the long term one or two or three
> > Linux distributions will even go more commercial and will win the race.
> > FreeBSD will stay a free operating system (I hope so) and will get only a
> > small part of the market. That's what I expect.
> >
> Jordan hopes to prove you wrong... without going explicitly
> 'commercial'...

Yes, and most FreeBSD users agree with him.  We're willing to make FreeBSD
more palatable to commercial developers only if we don't have to change the
nature of FreeBSD to do it.  Silly suggestions like changing the name of
the project, or getting rid of the daemon mascot, just aren't going to
help.  ;^)

Non-silly suggestions like a better installation system or a SECURE web-
based system administration tool are welcomed, but real work along these
lines is even more welcomed.

--
             Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Wes Peters                                                     +1.801.915.2061
Softweyr LLC                                                  wes@softweyr.com