Date:      Tue, 18 Sep 2001 16:09:32 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   LPD problems in 4.4-STABLE

As I posted before we run into trouble with lpd on all FBSD 4.4
boxes around here (not on 4.3 boxes!).

Configuration: a central server machine sends its print jobs to a
central printserver which is attached to a HP JetDirect printserver
at which two printers are connected to. This worked fine since the
switch to FBSD 4.4 (nothing has been changed in the configs).

Each normal user is able to use 'lpq' on each machine and gets a report
of the status of the standard print-queue or the appropriate selected
queue. Only root is not able to connect to the lpd! 'lpq' reports

	lpq: Unable to contact server!

but the server daemon is running! The same to 'lpc'. Users are able to
administer their jobs with lpc, but global administration by root with
lpc is not possible. 'lpc' hangs for a while, then shows up the lpc-prompt
but with a harsh limited set of options (quit, status and help). 'status'
shows nothing, no queue, no job.

Well, it sounds very strange that only root is excluded from access to
the lpd. Please help.

--
MfG
O. Hartmann

ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de
IT-Administration des Institutes fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
Becherweg 21
55099 Mainz

Tel: +496131/3924662 (Maschinenraum)