Date:      Tue, 30 Dec 2003 22:41:09 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        Larry Johnson <larry@cooljohnsons.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: file system

In the last episode (Dec 30), Larry Johnson said:
> The file systems used in Linux are limited to 32,000 files or
> subdirectories within any given directory. Does anybody know what the
> limit is in FreeBSD?  Can't find any info about this anywhere.

I don't think there's really a limit on the number of files; I quite
easily created 90k files in a directory with a shell script.  The
number of subdirectories in one directory is 32766, since the link
count for a directory is stored as a signed 16-bit integer, and the
parent directory will end up with 32767 links (one for itself, and
32766 to .. in each child directory).  This is also trivial to verify
with a shell script.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com