Date:      Mon, 14 Jan 2002 10:06:33 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        "James E. Housley" <jeh@FreeBSD.org>, Thomas Hurst <tom.hurst@clara.net>, arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 64 bit counters again

>"James E. Housley" wrote:
>> Right now I am trying to do network usage on the overflows the 32 bit
>> counters in 60 120 seconds.  That means the netstat values are useless,
>> mrtg and other programs that poll for results every 5 minutes or so are
>> useless.  If I want to get good data I have to get the counts every 10
>> seconds or so to get reasonable results.
>
>Actually, I was thinking that if what you are counting overflowed
>in such a short period of time, then you are counting the wrong
>thing.
>
>Instead of bytes, try counting K or frames, instead of frames,
>count packets, etc..

   Kbytes doesn't have enough resolution to provide accurate results since
the packets themselves are not integer multiples of Kbytes.

>You still haven't told us exactly what counter is overflowing...

   He's just trying to do what every network admin is trying to do: measure
link utilization (mostly bits per second) so that he can make intelligent
decisions about capacity, use, and associated costs.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
President, TeraSolutions, Inc. - http://www.terasolutions.com
President, Download Technologies, Inc. - http://www.downloadtech.com
Pave the road of life with opportunities.