Date:      Sat, 7 Nov 2009 11:39:41 -0500
From:      Roger <rnodal@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help understanding basic FreeBSD concepts (ports, updates, jails)

Hello all,

I have another concept that I'm confused about, the source distribution.
Some ports, like "lsof" require the existence of /usr/src.
What I don't understand is which version to use to keep synchronized
with the production release.
When the installed was performed the release was 7.2 but after doing
"freebsd-update" the release is now
7.2-p4. According to the documentation, I can track CURRENT, STABLE plus other.
Which one is the recommended one for a production server. I have not
build that many
packages that need the sources present so now would be a good time to
find out which one
I should use.

Thank you for your time and patience,

-r