Date:      Wed, 10 Jan 2001 23:41:29 -0500
From:      The Babbler <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   PCMCIA Qs: 2 NICs & new pccard.conf entry

[I posted this to freebsd-questions a couple days ago but no response so
far.
Also, even though I'm getting confirmation messages for my
subscriptions, I'm
not actually receiving mail for some reason so please include a directy
reply
to me.]

I'm having some PCMCIA troubles trying to get FreeBSD going on a laptop.

BACKGROUND:  I prefer FreeBSD in general; I even ran it on a laptop in
1996 or so (I didn't use PCMCIA at the time, so the laptop wasn't a big
issue), but switched to Linux the next year when I got a new computer
that had hardware that FreeBSD didn't support.  For multiple reasons,
I'd like to switch back.

PROBLEM #1:  On my firewall machine, which is my old laptop, I want to
use two PCMCIA NICs; FreeBSD seems to basically not believe that one
might want to use two PCMCIA NICs at all.  With the help of a local
FreeBSD expert we worked around the FreeBSD scripts for PCMCIA set up
so that we could configure two PCMCIA NICs in terms of having different
IP addresses for them and such.

However, we can't really get that far because the second card (whichever
one it is) refuses to configure becuase of a "resource conflict."  I
found the card data base (pccard.conf) and updated it so that I specify
explicit IRQs that dont' conflict.  (I booted Linux and picked the IRQs
that it uses); however, it still says that there is a resource conflict.
The message isn't specific, but there doesn't seem to be any way to
configure
the memory range, so I'm guessing that's the conflict.  Any ideas?

PROBLEM #2:  On my "main" machine, I have a Linksys EtherFast 10/100 +
56K card.  I made a first stab at creating the PC Card entry for this,
but my first try didn't work.  Linux says it's NE2000 compatible, but
then it says the same thing about every PCMCIA NIC I've ever tried.
Anyway, any ideas about how to go about this?  Is there doc on how to
write
a new pccard.conf entry (that is, how to figure out the proper
parameters)
that I might have missed?

--
"Brian, the man from babble-on"              bts@babbleon.org