Date:      Sat, 20 Jan 96 16:09:00 EST
From:      Chris Overbeek <coverbeek@comshare.com>
To:        "'BSD'" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ftp'ing BSD through a proxy server

I want to obtain freeBSD for use as an Intra-net (internal only) web
server for experimental and development purposes.  I have one small
problem.  I can't seem to ftp through our firewall using the freeBSD
install ftp client.  I have tried several things and read the docs over
and over, but don't seem to get anywhere.  The only helpful info I have
is that, our internal gateway is different than the external one.  (ie.
the proxy is not my default gateway for tcp/ip.)  Using netscape on my NT
machine I can anonymously ftp if I set "proxies" to have our proxy
server's address and port 8080.  In the BSD docs, it says to add 8080 to
the URL (ie ftp//:foo.bar.com:8080/pub...)  what IP address (ie
foo.bar.com) should I use?  I tried the url of the mirror site, no luck.
 I tried the address of the proxy server (which I figured wouldn't work,
since the BSD dist isn't there....) and it also didn't work. I tried
using the proxy server's address as the gateway and that also didn't
work.  However I know it is possible to get out through the proxy...

Any suggestions?
Chris