Date:      Thu, 25 Dec 1997 03:02:46 -0400 (AST)
From:      026809r@dragon.acadiau.ca (Michael Richards)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Local networks->internet

Hi all;
I have been sort of following the discussion on NATD. Some time in the near
future I will have to do what everyone seems to be struggling with right
now.
Is there some way that a person can do a ppp tunnel to the server that does
all the internet stuff?
I suppose anything incoming would be a problem either way whether it is NAT
or PPP :( Short of hacking into the ISP and setting multiple IP addresses
for all our local machines is there any other way?

What about this for complex-al-la complex ideas?
lan ===>ISP===>other box on the outside

Let's say I have control of a box on the outside with a domain I own. Would
it be possible to set up some kind of ppp tunnel all the way through. That
way I could set up all my machines box1.apollo.ca box2.apollo.ca etc. Each
would have its own IP on the "other box on the outside" which just gets
forwarded down the ppp pipe until it finally gets to the machine we want.

I know the theory works... What do the practically-experienced people have
to say?

-Mike