Date:      Wed, 18 Apr 2001 03:10:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/26579: FAQ inconsistency regarding allocating swap with vnconfig

The following reply was made to PR docs/26579; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To: grady@xcf.berkeley.edu
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org, jkh@freebsd.org
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 11:06:56 +0100

 --jy6Sn24JjFx/iggw

 Jordan,

 On Sat, Apr 14, 2001 at 11:39:58AM -0700, Steven Grady wrote:
 > >Synopsis:       FAQ inconsistency regarding allocating swap with vnconfig
 >=20
 >=20
 > 	According to the FAQ, to swap immediately, you invoke:
 > 	    vnconfig -ce /dev/vn0c /usr/swap0 swap
 > 	But /etc/rc does the following:
 > 	    vnconfig /dev/vn0b $swapfile && swapon /dev/vn0b
 >=20
 >     	I'm not sure whether it matters whether you swap on vn0b or
 > 	vn0c, but it would cause less confusion if the two were
 > 	consistent.
 >=20
 > 	(I checked with jkh, who said:
 > 	    Not sure it always matters, but "vn0b" is certainly
 > 	    more "correct."
 > 	)

 You added the code to /etc/rc to do this, rev 1.96.  Do you recall why
 you did "vnconfig ... && swapon ..." instead of using the "swap" option
 to vnconfig?

 I think it's probably better to bring /etc/rc in to line with the
 documentation, rather than the other way around (but continuing to use
 vn0b instead of vn0c.  This would make the line

     vnconfig -ce /dev/vn0b $swapfile swap

 in /etc/rc.

 Thoughts?  This is something that can be postponed until after 4.3.

 --=20
 FreeBSD: The Power to Serve             http://www.freebsd.org/
 FreeBSD Documentation Project           http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/

           --- 15B8 3FFC DDB4 34B0 AA5F  94B7 93A8 0764 2C37 E375 ---

 --jy6Sn24JjFx/iggw

 --jy6Sn24JjFx/iggw--