Date:      Thu, 12 Feb 2009 15:00:56 +0000
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
To:        Bradley Radjoo <Bradley.Radjoo@is.co.za>
Cc:        freebsd-performance@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Extremely slow write speeds to disk : FreeBSD 7.1 and Dell SAS 6/iR	Adapter

Bradley Radjoo wrote:
> Thanks very much Richard,
> (They are 2 X 73Gig Ultra 320 scsi SAS drives)
>
> BUT seems that even with the UP kernel, I still get issues..
> This is what I see in dmesg :
>
> mpt0: <LSILogic SAS/SATA Adapter> port 0xec00-0xecff mem
> 0xdfcec000-0xdfceffff,0xdfcf0000-0xdfcfffff irq 15 at device 0.0 on pci5
> mpt0: [ITHREAD]
> mpt0: MPI Version=1.5.18.0
> mpt0: mpt_wait_req(6) timed out
> mpt0: port 0 enable timed out
> mpt0: failed to enable port 0
> mpt0: unable to initialize IOC
> da0 at mpt0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
> ses0 at mpt0 bus 0 target 8 lun 0
>
> Please can you assist and advise

We're using a Dell 1950-III Poweredge server with two XEON 4-Core-CPUs
and at the momen one 750GB SATA drive.
This box suffers from incredible slow drive access speeds -
approximately a half of what I see on other boxes around.

When I read this posting I was quite happy having found a possible
solution, but I can't find the above mentioned OID, FreeBSD
8.0-CURRENT/amd64 (running on this box) shows only "hw.ata.wc: 1" as
a relevant OID. No hw.mpt.XXX OIDs anywere. This is the part from DMESG
reflecting MPT:

mpt0: <LSILogic SAS/SATA Adapter> port 0xec00-0xecff mem
0xfc4fc000-0xfc4fffff,0xfc4e0000-0xfc4effff irq 16 at device 0.0 on pci1
mpt0: [ITHREAD]
mpt0: MPI Version=1.5.14.0
mpt0: Capabilities: ( RAID-0 RAID-1E RAID-1 )
mpt0: 0 Active Volumes (2 Max)
mpt0: 0 Hidden Drive Members (14 Max)

I can not tell you, at this very moment, what configuration has been
done in the BIOS. The SATA HD is recognized as da0:

da0 at mpt0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
da0: <ATA Hitachi HUA72107 A74A> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-5 device
da0: 300.000MB/s transfers
da0: Command Queueing Enabled
da0: 715404MB (1465149168 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 91201C)

Maybe someon can followup on this if there is some kind of issue ...

Thanks in advance,
Oliver