Date:      Tue, 29 Jun 2004 17:42:20 -0400
From:      Allan Fields <bsd@afields.ca>
To:        Martin Olsson <mnemo@minimum.se>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and MacOS

On Tue, Jun 29, 2004 at 10:01:49PM +0200, Martin Olsson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> * MacOS X is based on FreeBSD
> * there is a x86 kernel for FreeBSD

And a lot of other sources too.  Not a drop-in replacement.

You can Run Mac OS X or Darwin/PPC on FreeBSD w/ PearPC
( http://pearpc.sf.net ).  And it's pretty slow at this point.
Nothing like running MOL on Linux on PPC.

You can Run Darwin/x86 natively on your PC
( http://www.opensource.apple.com , http://www.opendarwin.org).

You can Run Darwin on FreeBSD on your PC w/ Bochs or VMWare (
http://bochs.sf.net )

Why would you want to use Mac OS X w/ FreeBSD anyway?

The thing about all this emulation/virtual machine stuff is that
you should ask, is it worth it?  I've been thinking about running
multiple BSDs on one machine for development purposes.  Even
multibooting taught me this fiddling around is quite time consuming.

--
 Allan Fields, AFRSL - http://afields.ca
 2D4F 6806 D307 0889 6125  C31D F745 0D72 39B4 5541