Date:      Sun, 4 Apr 1999 09:10:05 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        "Kevin G. Eliuk" <kevin_eliuk@sunshine.net>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: KSCD crashing under FreeBSD 3.1

On Mon, Feb 02, 1998 at 04:37:14PM -0800, Kevin G. Eliuk wrote:

> [ switching over to ports ]
>
> On Sun, 4 Apr 1999, Mark Ovens wrote:
>
> > > ln -s racd0a rmatcd0a
> > > ln -s racd0c rmatcd0c
> > >

> > Ah, yes, that makes sense. I was doing it from memory thought ;-).
> > I take it that you're up and running kscd now?
>
> Yes after, after trying countless other operations and symlinks.  I
> think that this should probably patched at the port level to point to
> /dev/cdrom that can be documented to "ln -sf /dev/r${DEVICE} /dev/cdrom".

I used the package not the port but you're right, the port should
get it right. FWIW, I've found my kscdrc file (it didn't get removed
by pkg_delete). The file can be found in ~/.kde/share/config. The
entry for the CD device is:

[GENERAL]
CDDevice=/dev/cd0c

Note the section heading in [], a la Windows INI files. Also, as
you can see, it's not the raw device maybe it's changed in 1.1?.

	One other thing that was broken in 1.0 but may now be fixed
	is that the CDDB wouldn't get data from the CDDB servers.
	Below is something I found on the KDE mailing archives at
	http://www.kde.org:

	Check out the patches in the bug list area.  I've posted
	a couple of patches in the descriptions to the source to
	fix the problems I was having.  The first one changes a
	string in cddb.cpp (around line 276 and another around line
	519) from Kscd to kscd (change in capitalization).  For
	some reason, the CDDB servers do not like the string with
	a capital letter?!?!?

	Secondly, there's a change to move some connect lines from
	one location in the source to another.  The connect functions
	were getting executed every time you put a CD into the
	drive (they seemed to be designed only to be executed once).
	This has the effect of KSCD being able to do a lookup the
	first (and sometimes the second) time you put a CD into
	the drive, but usually after the third disk, it cannot do
	a lookup and needs to be restarted.

	See bug #s kb1511 and kb1510 for more info
	If you need more info, lemme know.