Date:      Tue, 27 Nov 2001 13:29:09 +1100
From:      Tony Landells <ahl@austclear.com.au>
To:        "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Accepting syslog messages from a router

> The default was "-s", which I changed in rc.conf to "-a 10.0.0.0/24:*";
> if I understood correctly, this would tell syslogd to accept any remote
> messages coming from my own subnet (the router is at 10.0.0.30).  But
> nothing was accepted with that.  I finally tried running syslogd with
> _no_ options, and now the messages are being accepted.

> I'd still like to know why the -a option doesn't seem to work.  I don't
> like leaving syslogd open to every machine on the network (even though
> nothing actually gets past the firewall).

The point of my suggestion was to determine whether the problem was your
command line or your configuration file.  Now that we know it's the command
line, we can focus our debugging.

Did you do a "ps" listing while you were having problems to check that
the running syslogd had the command line you expected?  Use something
like "ps wwax" or "ps wwaxl", with your "-a ..." option set in rc.conf
and see what the syslogd command looks like.

If it looks fine, you may want to use the "-d" argument as well (running
the command by hand) and shoot a couple of syslog messages from somewhere
else that match your address restriction, and see what syslogd says it's
doing with it.

I haven't used the "-a" argument myself, so I can't tell you whether it
looks right or wrong.

Tony