Date:      Wed, 7 Apr 1999 17:01:17 -0400 (EDT)
From:      The Classiest Man Alive <ksmm@threespace.com>
To:        FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Separate boot partition?

On Wed, 7 Apr 1999, Justin C. Walker wrote:

: > No, actually IBM *did* originally buy the volume manager bits from
: > Veritas.  They then took the additional step(s) of completely
: > integrating volume management and journalling into their filesystem
: > and making it the default.  This was about AIX 3.0 or 3.1 timeframe,
: > if memory serves correctly.
:      My recollection is from talking with the Veritas folks several
: years back, and that's what they told me.  Over time, of course, the
: bits get fuzzier, until it's hard to tell the zeros from the ones :-}

This is not correct.  Despite the similarities between IBM's volume
manager and VERITAS' own, IBM wrote theirs independently.  From what I've
heard it has very similar functionality, but it has always been a
separate product.

K.S.