Date:      Tue, 10 Nov 1998 18:00:53 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Steve Friedrich <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, Jeremy Mauric <commodore@rmrc.net>
Subject:   Re: simple question...

On Tuesday, 10 November 1998 at  1:39:56 -0500, Steve Friedrich wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Nov 1998 01:16:40 -0500, Jeremy Mauric wrote:
>> does the new version of freebsd 3.0 come with any web browser's????
>> thats all i would like to know. thank you ..........
>
> With all due respect, dude, if you're asking a question like this,
> please, please, please download and install 2.2.7, not 3.0R.
>
> You'll be MUCH happier with 2.2.7 for the time being.  Learn how to
> cvsup to -stable.  2.2.8 will be out soon, and learning to cvsup will
> get you there.
>
> Leave 3.0R to those of us who REALLY, ABSOLUTELY need it.   We'll let
> you know when it's ready for general consumption... (It's a development
> release right now!)

While we've discussed this matter, and in principle we're in
agreement, you should leave Jeremy to make up his mind himself.  Maybe
he's just trying to get used to the system.  FreeBSD 3.0 is maybe not
as stable in some areas as 2.2.7, but it's not going to panic every
two days either.

Jeremy, 3.0 is a "be careful" release.  Don't set up large web or ftp
servers with it.  But it contains a number of new features, and if
you're used to Microsoft, you'll be astounded how reliable it is.

Greg