Date:      Fri, 09 May 2008 18:32:57 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        DAve <dave.list@pixelhammer.com>
Cc:        'User Questions' <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FBSD 6.2 Xeon 2.4ghz CPU and high load

--------------enigA4D207F10AB9297668CFBAE6

DAve wrote:
> Good morning.
>=20
> I recently upgraded our two email gateways from 4.8 to 6.2. The require=
d=20
> software was upgraded as well which consists of MailScanner and=20
> Sendmail. Both had been keep up to date so it was not a jump in require=
d=20
> resources.
>=20
> The issue I am seeing is that my server load, under the same traffic=20
> load, has increased 4 times or more. Where previously we saw a high loa=
d=20
> on the servers of 5 to 8, we are now seeing 14 to 17. Since the upgrade=
=20
> Sendmail has begun to timeout connections.

FreeBSD 6.2 is I believe slower than 4.11 for single processor systems
and processes which pretty much run single threaded -- ie. exactly what
you're trying to run.  This would cause exactly the sort of symptoms you'=
re
seeing.

Try 7.0 instead -- it has all of the speed at multi-threaded, multi-core
type stuff but has also regained the sort of performance levels you could=

get from 4.x at the sort of tasks 4.x is really good at.  You should eval=
uate
SCHED_4BSD vs. SCHED_ULE for your workload.  SCHED_4BSD is still the defa=
ult
in 7.0, but SCHED_ULE gives better numbers for many workloads, and it onl=
missed being the default in 7.0 because it hadn't had enough time to sett=
le
into the tree before the release.  SCHED_ULE will be the default from 7.1=

onwards.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20