Date:      Fri, 11 Sep 1998 19:49:15 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Søren Schmidt <sos@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        bright@hotjobs.com (Alfred Perlstein)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DEVFS questions.

> is there a way to perhaps mount_union over devfs to keep symlinks and
> such?
>
> also, is there a way to preserve permission changes between reboots? maybe
> a script that would do it based on a file...

I do all this is /etc/rc.devfs which should be called from rc.
I dont use SLICE its too green yet for my liking.

> disklabel is also b0rked, will not write out to the disk.

You just have to always use the -w option IIRC.

> (not being sarcastic) i know DEVFS is quite new, but is it expected to be
> used? or is it something akin to kernfs?

Well, I usr DEVFS on all my machines, make it alot easier when fiddeling
with device drivers, ie the devices come and go by themselves, no need
to fiddle with MAKEDEV, and for that pupose it works very well.
The SLICE code OTOH has been in the way too many times to be usefull
for me at least.