Date:      Sun, 09 Sep 2012 16:53:08 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com>, arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Removing CVS from HEAD

On 9/8/2012 7:59 PM, Warner Losh wrote:

> I think it is a mistake to actively remove these at this time, for
> reasons that jhb@, et al, have discussed at length: These are useful
> tools, traditionally installed.

So was UUCP when it was removed. :) And if you find CVS useful, you can
install it from ports.

> The space savings in negligible and there's already a knob for turning them off.

It isn't about space savings in my mind. There's one goal to remove yet
another GPL thing from the base. There's another to continue the process
of stripping down the base to the lowest common denominator, and putting
everything else in ports.

And Eitan brought up a good point regarding the fact that we have no one
maintaining the code at this time, which means that "FreeBSD CVS" is a
bastardized version that is totally un-interoperable with anything else
calling itself "CVS." (Actually I think this fact should be more clear
in the new port, FWIW.)

> The project's source distribution system changes aren't a valid
> reason to change things at this time.

It isn't the changes in the project's VCS that makes the difference
directly, it's the fact that these changes make the base CVS
anachronistic for the overwhelming majority of our users. And as we
finally deploy SVN mirrors this becomes more true every day.

Yes, things are changing. Yes, change is hard. No, the fact that some
old timers find something useful should not be the deciding factor.

We have a long way to go until 10-RELEASE, and a long uptake cycle after
that. By the time even a significant percentage of our users are
actually using 10.something the momentum will have shifted entirely to
SVN. ... and anyone using 10 who needs CVS can install it from ports.

Doug

--

    I am only one, but I am one.  I cannot do everything, but I can do
    something.  And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what