Date:      Wed, 22 Sep 1999 02:08:16 GMT
From:      mike@sentex.net (Mike Tancsa)
To:        mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how to set fxp0 to half-duplex?   [was: nfs tuning]

>I changed the switch port to half-duplex and the frame and CRC errors
>and rpc timeouts all stopped immediately.  Then I rebooted the FBSD
>machine in order to get it to pick up the half-duplex setting from
>the switch.  I'm not sure if this last step was necessary.  Does it
>take a reboot?  Is there some way to switch duplex setting on the fly?
>ifconfig mediaopts seems like the obvious place, but fxp(4) only lists
>full-duplex as an option, no half-duplex.

ifconfig fxp0 media 10BaseT/UTP
ifconfig fxp0 media 10BaseT/UTP mediaopt full-duplex

No reboot is needed.

I use lots of fxp cards on a couple of Cat 1900s in 10BaseT Full duplex
mode without any errors.  Similarly on the 100BaseT ports in full duplex
Here is a sample in 100BaseT full duplex.

-------------------------------------
Total good frames           632711776
Total octets              >1834088214
Broadcast/multicast frames    4108617
Broadcast/multicast octets  498649470
Good frames forwarded       632711776
Frames filtered                     0
Runt frames                         0
No buffer discards                  0

Errors:
  FCS errors                        0
  Alignment errors                  2
  Giant frames                      0
  Address violations                0

-------------------------------------
Total frames                918936189
Total octets              > 943528760
Broadcast/multicast frames  101871841
 Broadcast/multicast octets>2589699969
 Deferrals                           0
 Single collisions                   0
 Multiple collisions                 0
 Excessive collisions                0
 Queue full discards                 0
 Errors:
Late collisions                   0
Excessive deferrals               0
Jabber errors                     0
Other transmit errors             0

I see the same sorts of results on my 10BaseT ports in full duplex.

	---Mike
Mike Tancsa  (mdtancsa@sentex.net)
Sentex Communications Corp,
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
"Given enough time, 100 monkeys on 100 routers could setup a national IP network." (KDW2)