Date:      Mon, 13 Jan 1997 23:29:20 +0100
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-current@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: a last word on last

As Christoph Kukulies wrote:

> > You can also use src/tools/3.0-upgrade/cvs-wtmp.
>
> I did that a couple of times and either cvs-wtmp barfed at
> some entries or it didn't work for some other reasons.

Have you tried the `force' switch of the most recent version?

> I know that the wtmp/utmp issues have been discussed widely but
> a clearing word on this issue would really be helpful. What is the idea
> to cope with this problem?

The idea for the final solution has been floating around here, and was
commonly accepted: all the utmp/wtmp handling stuff should be isolated
in libutil (it is already mostly), and no application should ever need
to include <utmp.h> again (login(3) is still failing this API
requirement).

There's already one positive side-effect of this discussion: i finally
(after more than 10 years of existance?) wrote the man pages for
libutil.  ;-)

Once this has been done, and the major packages and third-party
software actually uses it, we can do with utmp whatever we want, we
can convert it into dBase format :), make it a record structure, or
what else might be the most rationale format.

Needless to say, somebody needs to do all this.  I have the feeling
that David Nugent (hi Dave :) feels compelled to work in this area...

--
cheers, J"org