Date:      Fri, 30 Apr 1999 10:54:27 -0500
From:      "Jonathan E. Lyons" <parrothd@midwest.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Moving OS to a new disk

Use a program called ghost.exe, we use it all the time to make exact copies
of harddrives, no matter what format the drive is in, You'll need a dos
bootdisk ,and I think they still have a 30 day demo version...

Later

As always make backups first...hehehe

At 11:24 AM 4/30/99 -0700, you wrote:
>I have a system (2.2.8S/CAM) in which the primary hard drive has become
>flaky (it powers itself down periodically). This drive contains all the
>OS.
>
>I have a second identical drive, and my thought to ease replacement is to
>install the second drive as da1 (SCSI ID 1; the existing drive is da0/ID
>0), partition it identically, and transfer everything from the old drive.
>I'd then remove the old drive, and jumper the new drive as SCSI ID 0 and
>have it appear as da0.
>

>Do I need to change the disklabel on the new drive or do anything else in
>changing the SCSI ID - that is, is the device name embedded in the label,
>etc.?
>

>What is the best way to make a literal copy of the old drive on the new?
>I've found that tar doesn't copy all the device nodes properly (it says
>"minor number too large; not dumped" for many devices). I'm assuming I
>would temporarily mount the new drive as say /new and so the root
>filesystem would have to be transferred to /new , etc.

Jonathan E. Lyons   			FreeBSD
parrothd@midwest.net 			MCP, MCSE, A+ Certified
http://parrothd.midwest.net/
ICQ # 14226912