Date:      Sun, 13 Feb 2000 00:14:19 +0100
From:      "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [fix and RFC] interrupt-level buffer overflows with Xircom  PCMCIAmodem

Bruce Evans wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Feb 2000, Jose M. Alcaide wrote:
>
> > Now, the conclusions: perhaps RS_IBUFSIZE=256 is too low for some devices
> > (notably internal modems); it's only a theory. Or perhaps some devices
>
> Too large for devices with broken 16550 emulation.

Uh? Are you saying that I should decrement RS_IBUFSIZE instead of
incrementing it? I could test this, but I don't see how a shorter buffer
could help to avoid buffer overruns...

> RTS emulation is probably also broken for there to be a problem.  Ideally,
> the sender should check its version of RTS (i.e., CTS) before sending
> each character.  For bug for bug compatibility with 16550 senders, the
> sender only needs to check it every 16th character.

I could insert some "probes" in sio.c to see what happens with RTS/CTS,
but I am not a 16550 expert, so I need some advice :-)

> RS_IBUFSIZE doesn't exist in -current.  Instead, the buffer is sized to
> hold 4 ticks (4.0 / hz seconds) worth of input at the current input speed
> (or 128 bytes if that is larger).

Ah! Unfortunately I am not running -CURRENT on my laptop. I should
have checked -CURRENT's sio.c before suggesting that kernel config
option. Sorry.

Thanks very much,
-- JMA
José Mª Alcaide                         | mailto:jose@we.lc.ehu.es
Universidad del País Vasco              | mailto:jmas@FreeBSD.org
Dpto. de Electricidad y Electrónica     | http://www.we.lc.ehu.es/~jose
Facultad de Ciencias - Campus de Lejona | Tel.:  +34-946012479
48940 Lejona (Vizcaya) - SPAIN          | Fax:   +34-946013071