Date:      Mon, 27 Sep 1999 02:12:35 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        FreeBSD-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Seriously Bad Manners - Was: something extremely weird! help!!

On Sun, 26 Sep 1999, skalir <skalir@binary.databits.net> wrote:

>the home dirs fucking exist you idiot
>and when i login via telnet i can run cd ~ and it goes to the correct
>dir.. but on console it goes to /
>
>pfft.
>

>On Sun, 26 Sep 1999, Jason C. Wells wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 26 Sep 1999, skalir wrote:
>>
>> >I setup a machine on my lan, 3.1-RELEASE
>> >
>> >i added users to it,
>> >
>> >if i add a user to my normal homedir everything is ok,
>> >but if a add a user to the staff homedir, and login as
>> >them via CONSOLE i get "no home dir, logging in with /"; but if i telnet
>> >in, and login as that username under the staff dir, i dont get the error
>>
>> Perhaps you _are_ getting the error when you telnet but the error message
>> is not echoed to your terminal but to the system log.
>>
>> At any rate, use 'vipw' to change the homedir for staff people to one that
>> does exist.

This is the first time in my tenure on these lists that I have ever
received an email like this one. I considered writing a reply to this
person. Then I reconsidered. I am taking his private reply public.

I don't know who this person is. Regardless, this response is wholly
inappropriate. I ask the people who subscribe to this list to turn their
back to this person.

Thank You, 	| http://students.washington.edu/jcwells
Jason Wells	| "Those who would trade freedom for security deserve neither