Date:      Fri, 02 Aug 2002 09:53:28 -0400
From:      "Matt Abraham" <mailing@novaconnect.net>
To:        freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "ipfw fwd" not working without static route?

See inline...

On Thu, 1 Aug 2002 23:10:35 +0000
 Philip Reynolds <philip.reynolds@rfc-networks.ie> wrote:
> *This message was transferred with a trial version of
> CommuniGate(tm) Pro*
> Matt Abraham <mailing@novaconnect.net> 21 lines of wisdom
> included:
> > I'm trying to forward all packets from a privately
> addressed
> > machine (172.17.1.5) to a gateway via a FreeBSD box
> running
> > ipfw. Here's the ipfw directive:
> >
> > fwd 192.168.215.15 log logamount 10000 ip from
> > any
> >
> > Now when I ping public address a.b.c.d from 172.17.1.5,
> > get a "Destination Host Unreachable." When I try to
> ping
> > this same address from the FreeBSD box, I get a "No
> route to
> > host" message. Adding a static route, however, solves
> the
> > problem:
> >
> > route add -net a.b.c.d 192.169.215.15
> >
> > ...so now I can ping from both 172.17.1.5 and my
> FreeBSD
> > firewall! Of course, having to add routes, sort of
> defeats
> > the ipfw fwd command, doesn't it?
>
> a ``route'' is basically a road from one destination to
> another
> (i.e. a way of getting from A to B).
>
> Take this scenario, a meeting point in building A has
> been moved to
> building B. You have been designated to tell everyone
> that is coming
> to building A to go to building B. However, for this to
> happen there
> has to be a route (you can see where I'm going now I
> hope) from
> building A to building B.

I think in my case, a better scenario would be that I still
want to have the meeting point in building A for everyone
EXCEPT those from say, the Purchasing department; those
indiviuals should go over to building B.
> perhaps you need to set your default route?
>
> OR
>
> you need to either add in these static routes, or setup
> your network
> and interfaces in such a way as the routes are obvious
> (subnets,
> netmasks that kind of thing).

Now the use of static routes become problematic because the
route now only applies to packets that match a certain
criteria, namely having a source address of 172.17.1.5. If I
modify the netmasks on the box (and not use ipfw fwd), I
change the behaviour for all packets coming through...not
what I want to do.

Matt Abraham
mailling@novaconnect.net