Date:      Wed, 28 Jul 1999 16:47:51 -0700 ()
From:      Rick Hamell <hamellr@dsinw.com>
To:        Gene Bomgardner <glbj@bellatlantic.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Device Definitions, PCI devices

> 	I've just removed the old ISA bus modem from my system and
> replaced it with a new one that lives on the PCI bus. No problem if I
> crank up windows (which reports that it uses IRQ 11, IO range
> DC00-DC3F, and calls it COM3). However, when trying to set up
> user PPP, it does not seem to be /dev/cuaa2. Help ... what am I
> missing here? thanks....

	You're missing an ISA modem. Unluckily, most PCI modems are
technically 'WinModems.' There are some cases of certain modems working
but have not been duplicated. Case in point, I've a Jaton V.everything PCI
modem that was working fine under a 2.2.6 system. After upgrading to ISDN
I sold it. I recently found the need for it, and can not get it to work
anymore. It's highly suggested you spend the extra money and get something
external, you'll be a lot happier in the long run.

						Rick