Date:      Wed, 17 Mar 1999 00:40:25 -0500
From:      "C. Peter Constantinidis" <peter-c@home.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Type1 Postscript Font problem with XFree86 3.3.3.1

This is a general problem I'm having and I can't seem to resolve it.  All
the people I ask about it don't know how to fix it, or have never messed
with fonts and then say Linux is better.  Uh yeah.

So, I have compiled X from ports rather than install it as a package.  X is
running and everything.. mkfontdir only seems to work on directories that
have  files like *.pcf, etc. in them as the manual page would indicate.

Thing is, it doesn't seem to do ANYTHING at all for postscript, etc. fonts,
and makes the fonts.dir an empty file, and doesn't make fonts.scale at all.

I have a lot of postscript fonts, and I find it hard to believe I will be
expected to manually, and by hand, type in all the info. for each font
file, one by one.  So I'm obviously doing something wrong, but what..
what..  I read the fonts tutorial at www.freebsd.org, and it seems to=
 indicate
that for postscript fonts you have to do it by hand.  This can't be right..

Not to mention while I was screwing around last night and tried xset fp
rehash, it said something like error 38 and refused to complete the
operation.  That doesn't matter right now, I'm just trying to find out WHY
mkfontdir doesn't add my postscript fonts, etc.

I'll be so happy if someone can offer helpful advice.

Running 3.1 Stable

Best,
P.