Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 2006 17:42:23 -0700
From:      Michael Collette <Metrol@Metrol.net>
To:        Andy Reitz <reitz@eecs.cwru.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AMD64 Desktop Support

Andy Reitz wrote:
> In 64-bit mode, that does appear to be the case. However, it sounds like
> you could purchase an AMD64-based processor, and have everythign work fine
> in 32-bit mode. Then later down the road, as the software evolves, you
> could upgrade FreeBSD to be 64-bit and be set.
>
> Just a thought,

I was thinking along those lines as well, but then the money starts to
kick in.  The dual core Pentium is a much lower price than the dual
AMD64.  By the time the software is truly ready to go 64-bit, I think
I'd be better off buying a system at that point.

Maybe they'll be selling quads by then :)

Later on,
--
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
In practice, there is."