Date:      Thu, 30 Jul 2009 17:14:39 -0400
From:      PJ <af.gourmet@videotron.ca>
To:        Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists@tx.rr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how to boot or access problem file system

Paul Schmehl wrote:
> --On Thursday, July 30, 2009 14:45:46 -0500 PJ
> <af.gourmet@videotron.ca> wrote:
>>
>> Mike,
>> I am not particularly interested in becoming a guru on FreeBSD. I just
>> want to be able to use it productively... by that I do not mean make
>> money, but get something achieved in the way of programming stuff for my
>> own website etc. Having to "go back to school" to understand all the
>> stuff about FBSD is a bit overkill.
>> The real problem is that the instructions for upgrading and updating
>> trip all over themselves and confuse the shit out of most of us who are
>> not FBSD experts. Funny, that there are so many posts and wueries on
>> google to fix things on FreeBSD. I found one that was very clear and the
>> upgrade worked...
>> yet there is something wrong with the upgrade since I cannot get X to
>> recognize a puny little mouse.
>
> You need to run both dbus and hal if you want Xorg to detect your
> mouse and keyboard.  That requires you to add two lines to
> /etc/rc.conf; hald_enable=YES and dbus_enable=YES.
>
>> And consequently I have no idea if
>> Firefox is working or if flashplayer is working or acroread9 or anything
>> for that matter.
>
> If you're doing website development and you need to have flash working
> you need to find another OS.  Flash on FreeBSD is unreliable at best.
> Move to Ubuntu or CentOS or Gentoo or some other Linux flavor that can
> run Flash natively.
>
>> And there are no explanations that are readily evident
>> on what to use, when, how and where to use the different programs line
>> the linux emulation...
>
> No matter what you use, there is going to be a learning curve.  I've
> just started using Vista Enterprise, and it drives me nuts.  Things
> aren't where I'm used to them being, and I can't find what I used to
> know was there.  And I was editing the registry in Windows 3.1 when
> many people didn't even know there was a registry.
>
> All OSes take time to learn, some more than others.  FreeBSD is on the
> steeper side of the learning curve table, so maybe you shouldn't
> invest the time.  Life is too short to be constantly frustrated.
>>
>> I do appreciate the help you are offering as well as all the other guys
>> who take time out to help us.
>> It sounds, from what you are telling me, like it may be possible to do
>> something with my problem computer... will try.
>
> If you are willing to invest the time, FreeBSD can be a great OS to
> use.  But nobody but you can run your box, and no amount of help can
> overcome an unwillingness to take the time to learn.  That's not an
> indictment of you. Your priorities are not others' priorities.  But
> don't keep banging your head against the FreeBSD wall if you just want
> to get an OS up and running and using Flash.
>
> Hell, buy a Mac.  Then you'll have the best of both worlds.
No way.

But isn't it strange that it used to be pretty simple to upgrade and
update. But recently, I notice that communication between the developers
and users (or is it the manual page writers) are getting far away from
the realities of user/operational needs. Oh, what's the sense of beating
a dead horse, mechanics will never be writers... let's not kid ourselves.

--
Hervé Kempf: "Pour sauver la planète, sortez du capitalisme."
Phil Jourdan --- pj@ptahhotep.com