Date:      Tue, 19 May 1998 12:22:47 -0700
From:      Studded <Studded@dal.net>
To:        jgrosch@superior.mooseriver.com
Cc:        Sergey Vnotchneko <sergey@imedia.ru>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Long login names in FreeBSD-2.2.6 or 2.2-STABLE

First off, please don't post to both -questions and -hackers. This is a
-questions question, please follow up there. :)

Josef Grosch wrote:

> On Tue, May 19, 1998 at 07:29:19PM +0400, Sergey Vnotchneko wrote:
> >   Hi!
> >
> >   I need to use 16-chars login names in system... Please advice what files I
> > need fix & recompile
> >   for this.
> >
> >  P.S.: Please reply directly to me too, I'm not on the list.
> >
> >  Thanks, Sergey.

> Look at http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/FAQ192.html

	Unfortunately that response indicates that it's not possible to do on
-Stable, which is not the case. I've been running with 16 character
usernames on -Stable for more than 6 months.

	What you need to do is edit /usr/src/sys/sys/param.h and change
MAXLOGNAME to 18. Then go to /usr/src/include/utmp.h and change
UT_NAMESIZE to 16. Now make the world, when that's done make a new
kernel. I would back up, then delete wtmp and utmp since the new
username size will corrupt both files. Also, if you have other software
installed that accesses usernames (ssh is one of the most common) you
will want to recompile and reinstall it.

	That's all there is to it. There are some things in both -Stable and
-Current that need to be twiddled to make this really clean though. For
example there is a patch in PR (6325) to fix the output of w and make it
dependent on UT_NAMESIZE, however it's still waiting for a committer
(hint hint :). A similar fix would be nice for things like ps. Those
things won't affect the functionality of your system though, just the
aesthetics.

Enjoy,

Doug
--
***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***
*** Proud designer and maintainer of the world's largest Internet