Date:      Wed, 7 Apr 1999 14:13:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>
To:        eivind@FreeBSD.org (Eivind Eklund)
Cc:        nsayer@quack.kfu.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/kern kern_time.c

> I'd suggest going for at least a minute instead of a second, to allow
> re-adjustement after loosing an ntp server for a while.  Possibly
> more; I've not thought too closely about this.  It might be reasonable
> to do

I'd say that if the time was off by more than a few seconds (remember,
we're talking about secure machines here), a reboot might not be
inappropriate.

But if the machine is not rebooted, xntpd will step the clock,
the step will be clamped to +1 second, and xntpd will recompute
the delta, decide another step is in order, etc. So the time will
slowly reconverge. The behavior before (at least for negative
deltas) was that the clock would continue to drift out of control
even if there were suitable peers for xntpd.

--
echo afnlre@dhnpx.xsh.pbz |\   : "Quick man! Cling tenaciously to my
tr 'a-z' 'n-za-m'              : buttocks!"