Date:      Wed, 14 Oct 2020 12:23:18 +0200
From:      Ralf Mardorf <ralf-mardorf@riseup.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A couple of questions about SSDs

On Wed, 14 Oct 2020 10:32:02 +0100, Jon Schneider wrote:
>smartctl tool

Better use a vendor's tool to do so. The SSD might not be in the
smartctl data base at all, or it might not provide correct information.

On Linux I'm running the vendor's Linux software, to get smart
data, that most likely is correct and to update the firmware, while the
SSDs are in use.

Mine are cheap Toshiba SSDs.
  $ sudo ocz-ssd-utility
Not all vendor's support FLOSS operating systems, hence I cared for
this, before I bought my SSDs.