Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 2006 08:57:01 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Danny Pansters" <danny@ricin.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: BSD License "Innocence" Clause Proposal

Nope.  The real BSD license gives copyrights to the University of
California, Berkeley.  Mainly for historical reasons because BSD
originated from there, but there is a legal reason also.  You see, if
I Ted Mittelstaedt release software copyright Ted Mittelstaedt, even
if I give everyone rights to use it, I still retain copyright and
later on I can change the terms of that copyright.  That is what the
courts have said I can do.  As a result of this, people, when they use
my work commercially they will need to get me to sign a piece of paper.
If I'm not reachable, that's kind of hard.  By giving the copyright
to the University, it assures any future entity that there will never
be any question of copyight rights to use the work since the UCB
obviously
isn't difficult to find, and is not likely to dry up and disappear.

This is why FreeBSD is copyrighted The FreeBSD Project and
not the individual developers copyrights.

If you retain your own copyright on the
work then your license might be a BSD-like license, but it's not
the BSD license.