Date:      Sun, 28 Apr 2002 17:11:14 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Richard Arends <richard@unixguru.nl>, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: truss

On Sun, 28 Apr 2002, Crist J. Clark wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 28, 2002 at 03:59:44PM -0400, Robert Watson wrote:
> [snip]
>
> > In FreeBSD 5.0, all this information is exported from the kernel using the
> > sysctl() interface, which provides much more information gating, and
> > flexibe policy controls.  This exists in part in 4.x, but not completely.
> > In 5.0, ps requires no special privilege, and access control is done
> > entirely in the kernel.
>
> I think I'm missing something here.
>
>   $ uname -r
>   4.5-RELEASE
>   $ ls -l /bin/ps
>   -r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  213796 Jan 30 14:30 /bin/ps
>
> ps(1) has no special privileges in 4.x, but I may not understand what
> you mean by "special privileges?" (To me it means s{u,g}id.)

Hmm.  I'd forgotten that the setgid kmem was removed in 4.x; I was
probably thinking of top, which still is setgid in -STABLE.  You'll find
however, that -e won't work without setgid kmem being turned on.  There
are a number of other tools in -CURRENT that aren't setgid kmem where they
are in -STABLE (top, iostat, etc).