Date:      Thu, 19 Jun 2003 03:59:56 -0400
From:      Mike Makonnen <mtm@identd.net>
To:        "Darin" <derwood@naebunny.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FeeBSD 5.1 and localdaemons

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 03:33:48 -0400
"Darin" <derwood@naebunny.net> wrote:

> But, the ProFTPD and MySQL still wont start..
> I did some digging in the scripts in /etc/rc.d and found the local and
> localdaemons scripts.. After playing around a bit, I found that the
> localdaemons script is actually what executes the local scripts.. But for
> whatever reason, local is not starting localdaemons.

It's not supposed to. rc.d/localdaemons is started independently later in the
boot and the output you should see is:
/etc/rc: DEBUG: run_rc_command: evaluating locald_start().
Local package initialization:

>I can start both
> daemons manually by running their scripts manually, so theres no problem
> that I can see with the installation.. I tried adding a line to the
> /etc/rc.d/local script that called the localdaemons script.. When I
> rebooted, MySQL and ProFTPD start fine during boot.. Anyone have any ideas
> on this one??

There must be something non-standard about your installation. This has been
working fine for a long time. In fact, I have mysql server on my
workstation and it comes up with every boot just like it's supposed to.
Generally, the scripts in/usr/local/etc/rc.d should be executable and they
should end with a '.sh' suffix.

Cheers.
--
Mike Makonnen  | GPG-KEY: http://www.identd.net/~mtm/mtm.asc