Date:      Wed, 31 May 2000 13:17:39 -0500
From:      Ryugen@palaver.org (Ryugen C. Fisher)
To:        "Doug Poland" <dpoland@execpc.com>
Cc:        "ListServer FreeBSD Questions" <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: tar to ftp site

whilst on the subject, and to expose my ignorance once again...

I am trying to transfer an entire directory structure from one machine to
another..
my access is limited to telnet and ftp...   mget will get the files, but
not the directories and it will take a LONG time to go into each directory
by cd, etc..

Is there a shortcut to solving this problem?

MTIA

At 12:00 PM 5/31/00, Doug Poland wrote:
>Hello,
>
>This may be a stupid question, but here goes...
>
>Can I create a tar file and pipe it through to
>an ftp connection?
>
>What I'm trying to accomplish is a complete
>backup of a FreeBSD box on a Novell LAN.  The
>hard drive does not have enough free space to
>hold a tar of all "partitions".
>
>Am I dreaming?  Is there another way to
>accomplish this task?
>
>MTIA