Date:      Sat, 17 Feb 2001 19:35:21 +0100 (CET)
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Is NIS/YP buggy or broken?

Dear Sirs.
I have problems with an installation of NIS/YP and it seems to be
some kind of nasty to me.
My boxes are running all FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE and at this moment I
switched off all IP filters, snort or inetd's option "-wW" to avoid
blocking some services.

I installed one machine as a master server and this worked fine.
This machine runs "ypserv", "ypbind -s -S XXXXXX,localhost (or name of host)",
"rpc.ypxfrd" and "rpc.yppasswdd". At first I tried also to run "keyserv"
and "rpc.ypupdatedd" due to needs of secure RPC.

Main problem is, that ypbind is not able to connect to the local server
"ypserv" or when creating/changing new maps, the master server can not
contact its slave servers, no matter why. The error is always that it
could not create an UDP handle or "no such host or address" or similar.
What's wrong? When running inetd -lwW I assured in /etc/hosts.allow all
services like ypserv, rpc.XXX, keyserv and yppush,ypxfr to be accessd
from the local net, also the IP filter is transparent for all packets
on the lokal net. But it is always the same, no contact to the master
or slave servers.

On hosts which act as clients could never be initiated a service connection to
master or slave server (all machines are on the same network).

I tried the simplest installation described in the handbook - without success,
the same behaviour (also on new machines without any specialized security installaions).
I regret that SecureRPC is not mentioned further in the handbook (about how to use
keys etc, maybe this is focus for the malfunction anywy).

So, at last I would like to as whether the NIS/YP implementation on FreeBSD is
broken or not?

Thanks,
Oliver

--
MfG
O. Hartmann

ohartman@mail.physik.uni-mainz.de
IT-Administration des Institut fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
Becherweg 21
55099 Mainz

Tel: +496131/3924662 (Maschinensaal)