Date:      Thu, 07 Oct 2010 21:13:39 +0200
From:      Robin Vleij <viper@fx-services.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: newsyslog.conf and Apache log files

On 10/7/10 7:26 PM, Joe Auty wrote:

Hi Joe,

> Unfortunately, this has created these big long log files such as the
> following:
>
> httpderror_log.2.bz2.2.bz2.2.bz2.1.bz2.1.bz2.1.bz2.0.bz2
>
> How can I prevent these dumb log file names from being created?

Like Lowell wrote, don't use wildcards in newsyslog.conf. :-)

I just react to this, because I spent quite some time after a storage
change on why my machine was hanging at bootup on the newsyslog
"trimming and creating logfiles" line. There was no good Google result
that pointed me in the direction, hence my post now.

In my case I made the same mistake as you on my Asterisk logfiles (which
also don't have any extention). So after troubleshooting NFS and
filesystem problems, I ran truss on newsyslog and found out about the
nice tree newsyslog had built on my Asterisk logfiles. It wasn't hanging
afterall, it was quite busy. :-) I just wrote three lines with the three
filenames I wanted to rotate and since then it's fine.

/Robin